As a business owner, you want to ensure your website is built on a platform that will allow you to grow your online presence and reach your target audience. But with so many different web platforms available, it can be difficult to decide which one is right for you.
Wix and WordPress are two of the most popular web platforms available today. Both have their own unique features and benefits that can help you build a successful website.
So, which one should you choose for your business? Let’s look at Wix vs WordPress to see which is the best fit for your needs.
Wix is a user-friendly website builder that enables anyone to create a professional website without learning to code. With Wix, you can create a website from scratch or choose from one of the many templates available. You can also add your photos and videos and make changes to your site anytime you want. Plus, Wix is free to use!
WordPress is a content management system that enables you to create a website or blog from scratch or to improve an existing website.
To create a website with WordPress, you need to install the software on a web server and create pages and posts with the WordPress editor. You can add other website features, such as menus, images, and widgets.
When you’re finished creating your website, you can publish it online by registering a domain name and hosting.
WordPress is a very versatile platform and can be used for various websites and applications. It can be used for simple websites, such as personal blogs, or more complex websites, such as online stores or membership portals. WordPress is also commonly used as a CMS for corporate and government websites.
Comparison of Wix vs WordPress
Wix and WordPress are user-friendly website builders that are popular among small business owners. They both offer a wide variety of templates and allow you to create a website without any coding experience. Let’s see a few key distinctions between the two platforms.
One key difference is that WordPress is open source software, while Wix is a closed platform. WordPress is free to use, while Wix has a monthly fee. With WordPress, you also have more flexibility to change the code to create custom designs and features, whereas, with Wix, you are limited to the templates and features provided by the platform.
WordPress is also more extendible and can be used for wider purposes than Wix. It can be used for everything from a simple blog or website to a powerful eCommerce store or membership site. WordPress has a larger community of developers and users who can help you with website design, development, and troubleshooting issues.
Wix Pricing Plans
This plan includes a free domain name, 500MB storage, and a Wix site builder.
This plan costs $4.5/month and includes 1GB storage, no custom domain name, and more.
This plan costs $24.5/month and includes 35GB storage, a custom domain name, and other features like an online store and email marketing.
WordPress Pricing Plans
Is WordPress free?
Yes, It’s free. You don’t have to pay anything to download and set up WordPress. You can also make changes to your WordPress.org site without worrying about monthly or yearly fees.
WordPress offers a free hosting plan that includes 100MB of storage space and access to basic features.
WordPress’ hosting plan costs $7/month and includes 1GB of storage space, access to all features, and support for one website.
WordPress’ premium hosting plan costs $14/month and includes 10GB of storage space, access to all features, and support for five websites.
Themes & Plugins
WordPress is known for its vast and ever-growing library of themes and plugins. There’s a theme or plugin for almost everything, from creating a simple website to developing an eCommerce store. WordPress’ theme library offers a wide variety of options to match any brand or style, while its plugin library has something for everyone, from beginners to experts.
- WordPress has more than 9,000 pre-installed free WordPress themes. It provides a larger selection of WordPress plugins.
- You have almost complete control over how your WordPress sites look. Remember that we recommend you to use themes made by WordPress itself.
- You can make an online store; you must install a WordPress plugin like WooCommerce. Better for sites that only sell online or for selling in large quantities.
Wix also offers a wide range of themes and plugins to choose from. Its theme library includes free and premium options, while its plugin library has free and paid plugins. However, compared to WordPress, Wix’s selection is significantly smaller. This can be a disadvantage if you can’t find the right theme or plugin for your needs.
- Wix has more than 500 Wix templates already made, which is a lot for a website builder.
- Customization options are limited, but all features and functions are rigorously tested to guarantee they work as intended.
Design Features of Wix:
- Wix is a user-friendly platform that is easy to use. You can create a website in minutes without prior experience or design knowledge.
- There are many templates to choose from, so you can find the perfect design for your website.
- Wix is mobile-friendly, so your website will look great on any device.
- You can add your photos and videos and customize the text and layout to make your website unique.
- Wix provides free support via phone, email, and chat, so you can get help whenever needed.
Wix Design: 8/10
Design Features of WordPress
One of the things that makes WordPress so popular is its design features. These include:
- A customizable dashboard that allows you to manage your website’s content easily.
- You can use a wide range of WordPress themes and templates to create a unique look and feel for your website.
- A vast array of plugins allow you to add features and functionality to your website.
- A user-friendly interface makes it easy for anyone to create and manage a website.
WordPress Design: 10/10
The Wix blogging platform is very user-friendly. You can create a blog in minutes and start publishing content right away. The platform offers a wide range of templates to choose from, and you can customize your blog’s design to match your store’s branding.
One thing to note about Wix blogging is that it’s not as easy to customize your blog’s design as with other platforms like WordPress. If you’re looking for more control over your blog’s appearance, you might want to consider another platform. However, if you’re starting and don’t want to spend too much time on design, Wix is a good option. These features include:
- A built-in SEO tool that helps you optimize your blog posts for Google search results
- A social media integration feature that enables you to share your blog posts on social media networks like Facebook and Twitter
- A stats dashboard that shows you how many people have viewed your blog posts and how they were found (via search engines or social media)
Wix Blogging Features: 7/10
The WordPress platform is popular among bloggers for a variety of reasons. Some of the most important things that WordPress has to offer bloggers are:
- An intuitive editor makes creating and formatting posts easy.
- The ability to backdate blog posts, which can be helpful for scheduling content in advance.
- The ability to feature a single image across the top of a blog post.
- A native commenting system allows readers to leave comments directly on the blog post itself.
- Multi-language support, making it possible to publish content in multiple languages.
- The ability to password-protect individual blog posts or entire categories of posts.
- The ability to add custom menus and navigation bars to help readers find the content they’re looking for.
- The ability to add custom widgets to your blog’s sidebar, providing additional functionality and flexibility.
WordPress has always been primarily about blogging, which is why it comes with all the features you need, like tags, categories, RSS, etc.
WordPress Blogging Features: 10/10
Wix SEO Features
- Has a built-in SEO manager that helps users to optimize their website for the search engines.
- Provides social media posters to help market the website on various social media platforms.
- Contains email marketing tools to help users market their website through emails.
WordPress SEO Features:
- Offer a variety of SEO plugins that helps with optimizing the website for search engines.
- Themes often have SEO features such as schema markup, breadcrumb navigation, open graph data, and more.
- WordPress has a bit more to offer with the right SEO plugins.
Let’s use Yoast SEO as an example. It’s a great tool that’s free and very useful. This plugin is being used on over 5 million sites and has an overall rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars. Yoast SEO is one of the best plugins for WordPress. Overall for search engine optimization, WordPress is more suitable than Wix.
The Wix customer support system includes phone support, live chat, and helpful forums. Their support staff is knowledgeable and can help with the most common questions or issues.
On the other hand, WordPress has no official support, but you can find what you need on the community forums. The answers can be hit and miss and sometimes buried in comments, so it may take some time to find what you’re looking for. If you have a budget, you could go for a web hosting company specialising in WordPress (Siteground, Kinsta, etc.). There you’ll also get basic support with common WP issues. There are cheaper WordPress hosting options available, but you’ll get even less support.
Ease of Use: Is WordPress Easier to Use Than Wix
WordPress is known for its ease of use, even for first-time website builders. Its user-friendly interface allows you to create and customize your website without learning complex coding easily. WordPress comes with many features and plugins that give you more flexibility in terms of what you can do with your website.
On the other hand, Wix is also very easy to use but has a limited number of features. This platform is designed specifically for beginners, so you may be able to learn how to use it a lot faster than WordPress. By the way, the content you place in Wix will be how it appears once you publish it. However, since you are limited to the designs available on the platform, your website may look like other websites built with Wix.
Security: Wix Vs WordPress
The Wix Security team has a program in place that is based on international best practices and is always changing to keep up with new threats. They use HTTPS, TLS 1.2 and higher, and SSL to protect data.
Wix has the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) Level 1 certification, which is the highest level. Wix regularly checks its systems for weaknesses and attacks and looks for new third-party services to help keep its platform safe and users’ data private.
There are several ways that you can keep your WordPress site secure. One of the most important is to keep your site up to date. WordPress will notify you when updates are available, and installing these as soon as possible is important.
Another important step is to use a strong password. This means using a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols and making sure that it is not something that someone could easily guess. Again WordPress website will be secure if you update the plugins & themes regularly.
You can also protect your site with a plugin. There are several plugins available that can help to protect your site from hackers. One of the most popular is called WordFence. This plugin provides several features, including:
- Firewall protection
- Real-time scanning
- IP blocking
- Anti-virus scanning
WordFence is free for personal sites, and there is also a paid version with additional features.
Pros and Cons of Wix and WordPress
With Wix and WordPress, there are several considerations to make. Both have their pros and cons, which are worth taking into account before making your decision:
- User-friendly, drag-and-drop interface
- No coding is required
- Hundreds of templates to choose from
- Free plan available
- Less flexibility – you’re limited to the templates provided.
- No custom domains – all sites must be hosted on Wix.com subdomains.
- Less control over SEO – Wix does a lot of the work for you, but this can also mean less control over how well your site ranks in search engines.
- Very flexible – can be customized to do almost anything you want
- Can use your domain name and hosting provider
- More control over SEO – you have to do more of the work yourself, but this gives you more control over how well your WordPress site ranks in search engines.
- Thousands of plugins and themes are available, allowing for almost infinite customization.
- Requires some technical knowledge – if you don’t know how to code, you’ll need to hire someone who does
- It can be more expensive – although there are free plugins and free themes available, you may need to hire a developer to get the most out of WordPress
Which Platform is More Popular Among Users?
WordPress is more popular among users. Wix is a closed-source platform, and users are limited in their ability to customize their sites.
- WordPress is a content management system (CMS) released in 2003.
- WordPress is free and open-source software released under the GPL.
- More than 409 million people look at more than 20 billion pages monthly.
- WordPress is used on more than 455 million WordPress websites.
- WordPress is a very versatile platform that can be used for various websites and applications.
- WordPress is highly customizable, and thousands of plugins and themes are available to enhance its functionality.
- WordPress is SEO friendly and has built-in features that help with website optimization.
Which One is Better For Me?
Both Wix and WordPress are website builders that allow you to create a website without knowing how to code. They are both great options for people who want to build a website on their own.
However, when it comes to pricing, blogging, SEO, and support, WordPress is the better option. In terms of ease of use, WordPress is slightly easier to use than Wix.
And finally, WordPress is the clear winner when it comes to security. WordPress is your best option if you are looking for a perfect website builder that offers all of these features. We highly recommend using WordPress for your site.
Final Verdict: Wix vs WordPress
So, what is the verdict? In our opinion, WordPress comes out as the clear winner. It’s more user-friendly and offers more flexibility in terms of design and functionality. If you want to create a website that looks great and truly represents your brand, then we recommend using WordPress.
Are you ready to make the switch? We can help! As experienced WordPress users, we know this platform’s ins and outs – from setting up your site to optimizing it for search engines. Let us show you how easy and fun website creation can be!